All Day Summer Breakfast
Perfect for weekends or holidays when you have more time to enjoy. This makes a great all day breakfast so enjoy also for brunch, lunch or dinner. For a vegetarian version, replace the bacon with grilled or fried haloumi cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 flat mushrooms, stalks removed
- Salt and pepper
- 3 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 20-24 baby truss, or large cherry, tomatoes
- 4 free range eggs
- 8 slices lean bacon or haloumi cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Heat 2 frying pans over a medium to high heat and add a little olive oil to each. Cook mushrooms in one pan and asparagus in the other pan, 2-3 minutes. Turn mushrooms and asparagus over and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pans and continue cooking until mushrooms are luscious and juicy and asparagus is just tender and still bright green, 2-3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and asparagus from pans and keep warm.
- Wipe out pans and heat them over a medium to high heat with a little oil. Add bacon (or haloumi cheese) to one pan. While bacon (or haloumi) is cooking, add a little oil to the other pan and cook eggs and tomatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile toast sour dough bread.
- To serve, top toast with bacon (or haloumi) and egg and serve mushrooms, tomatoes and asparagus on the side.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.