Asparagus and Beef Red Curry Stir Fry
With just three terrific and tasty main ingredients – asparagus, beef and capsicum – this is set to become a favourite with family and friends. The bonus is that it can be whipped up in minutes in the same pan – hooray less washing up!
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 600g rump steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 25 Thai basil leaves
- 2 long red chillies, sliced thinly diagonally
- Steamed Jasmine rice and sliced red chillies (optional), to serve
- Cut asparagus into 8cm lengths.
- Heat oil in a wok or large pan and stir-fry beef strips in batches for 2-3 minutes until browned. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add asparagus and capsicum to pan and stir-fry 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and curry paste to pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in fish sauce, sugar, lime leaves and 1/3 cup water and bring to a simmer.
- Return beef and to pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Check flavours and season as needed.
- Serve immediately with steamed Jasmine rice and, if liked, scatter with sliced red chillies.
- Curry paste is available from supermarkets and Asian groceries.
- If cooking for kids, reduce or omit chillies according to their taste.
- For a delicious vegetarian option substitute sliced marinated tofu for beef, omit fish sauce and choose a vegetarian curry paste.
- You can add more veggies when you add the capsicum, such as carrot strips, sugar snap peas, broccoli and zucchini strips.
- Serve with brown rice or other grains such as quinoa, or rice and quinoa mix.
- For this recipe to be gluten free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council