Asparagus and Chicken Wrap
A great way to transport spring goodness to work, school or picnics.
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 8 wraps (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 baby Cos lettuce, leaves removed and washed
- 2 large cooked chicken breasts, sliced (see Tip)
- 1/2 small red capsicum, sliced thinly
- 1/2 small yellow capsicum, sliced thinly
- Cut asparagus spears on an angle into 5cm long pieces. Steam or cook in a microwave oven until just tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Lay out wraps on a piece of baking paper on a flat surface. Combine pesto and mayonnaise in a mixing bowl and spread a generous spoonful down the centre of each wrap.
- Place a lettuce leaf on top. Add chicken, asparagus and red and yellow capsicum slices.
- Wrap by lifting the closest part of wrap over chicken and enclose by wrapping over sides. Wrap in baking paper and twist end to seal.
- If not using at once, store in refrigerator for up to two days.
- A good way to used left over roast chicken. Alternatively, poach fresh chicken breasts: Bring 2 L chicken stock to the boil, add chicken breasts and cook gently for 7-10 minutes. Turn off heat, cover and leave for 20-25 minutes to cook through. Remove chicken. When cool, store cooking liquid in refrigerator for 1-2 days to use in soups or sauces.
- A variety of wraps are available from most supermarkets including pita and mountain bread. If eating at home, warmed tortilla or roti are especially good.
- You can use any variety of salad vegetable such as ribbons of carrot and/or cucumber, or sliced mushrooms and avocado. Alternatively, use left over salad and herbs.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.