Asparagus and Mushroom Broth
This is a lovely refreshing broth with just three main ingredients – asparagus, enoki mushrooms and miso broth, however you can add sliced chillies for little flavour bursts.
- 100g enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 bunch (100g) mini asparagus spears, sliced finely (see Tip)
- Sliced chillies (optional)
- 1 litre boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Shiro miso (see Tip)
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Arrange enoki mushrooms, asparagus and chillies (if using) in serving bowls.
- In a heatproof jug, quickly combine miso with 1/2 cup of the boiling water using a whisk or wooden spoon. Gradually mix in remaining water and whisk until miso is fully incorporated forming a light smooth broth.
- Immediately pour broth over mushrooms and asparagus, scatter with coriander leaves and serve at once.
- Mini asparagus spears are trimmed thin asparagus spears and are ready to use. If not available, use the top half of 1 bunch of thin asparagus spears and reserve the bottom half of the spears for other recipes.
- Shiro miso is a sweet, mild tasting miso that is available from Asian grocery stores and larger supermarkets. It is sometimes referred to as ‘sweet white’ and ‘young rice miso’. Use to make a quick broth by adding boiling water such as in this recipe. Do not cook miso - add it at the end of cooking instead.
- For this recipe to be gluten-free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by Vikki Leng.