Asparagus and Potato Tortilla
One-pan dishes are easy to serve and help minimise the after dinner clean up, so Asparagus and Potato Tortilla is sure to lighten your load. The asparagus, potato and egg combo results in a satisfying light meal packed with goodness. For a fresh touch, whip up a quick green salad while the tortilla is cooking.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 brown onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1 jar capsicum or tomato relish or chutney, to serve
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add 1/3 of the oil and cover pan with 1/3 of the potato slices, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until tender and golden. Transfer potato slices to a plate and set aside. Add half of the remaining oil to pan and cook the rest of the potato as above.
- Add remaining oil to pan, reduce heat to medium and cook onions until translucent and a light golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Using an 18-20cm diameter ovenproof frying pan, layer 1/2 of the cooked potato slices in pan. Add half the onion mixture in a layer and arrange the asparagus spears in a single layer on top. Layer with remaining potato, and then remaining onion.
- Place eggs in a large jug or bowl the milk and salt. Whisk to combine. Slowly pour egg mixture over potato, asparagus and onion in pan, tilting pan to evenly distribute egg mixture.
- Cover and cook tortilla over a low-medium for 8-10 minutes, or until egg begins to set in centre. Remove from stove and cook under a medium to hot grill until cooked and golden, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 4-5 minutes.
- To serve, cut into thick wedges and serve with a spoonful of capsicum or tomato relish or chutney.
- The amount of potatoes required will vary depending on the size of your pan and the size of the potatoes. Any good all rounder variety of potato would be suitable.
- For a lower fat version, instead of frying the potato slices, steam them, or cook them in a microwave oven.
- Choose your favorite store bough capsicum or tomato relish.
- For this recipe to be gluten-free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.