Asparagus and Rocket Pesto
Whipped up from fresh asparagus this makes a delicious dip or a spread. But don’t stop there - try also tossing through freshly cooked pasta with a small amount of the water it was cooked in, and then topping with parmesan cheese.
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups rocket leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan, or cashew nuts
- To serve: fresh vegetables such as scrubbed baby carrots and sliced Lebanese cucumbers,
- grissini sticks, fresh baguette or crackers
- Using a blender or food mill, process asparagus, garlic, rocket, olive oil, salt and pepper until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add parmesan cheese (or cashew nuts) and process until thoroughly combined.
- If using pesto straight away, transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with fresh vegetables accompanied by grissini sticks, sliced baguette or crackers
- If not using pesto at once, store in an airtight container in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Toss this pesto through freshly cooked pasta with a small amount of the water it was cooked in, and then top with parmesan.
- For a vegan version, use cashew nuts instead of parmesan.
- For this recipe to be gluten-free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.