Prosciutto wrapped asparagus is a classic dish perfect for a light lunch or snack when family and friends drop in.
- 12 asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 12 slices prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Baby truss tomatoes
- Turkish bread, sliced
- 1 wedge of your favourite Brie
- 1 wedge of your favourite blue cheese
- Place asparagus in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for 30-60 seconds. Remove asparagus and place in a separate large bowl of cold water for 1 minute to prevent further cooking. Drain asparagus and pat dry with paper towel.
- Wrap each asparagus spear with a slice of prosciutto and arrange on a serving platter.
- Combine oil and garlic. Brush baby truss tomatoes with 2 teaspoons of the mixture and grill or roast until skins are split.
- Brush Turkish bread with the remaining garlic and olive oil mixture and grill on a char-grill plate or in a heavy based frying pan.
- Arrange baby truss tomatoes, bread and cheese next to asparagus on a serving platter and serve at once.
- For a vegetarian dish, omit the prosciutto. To add flavour to the asparagus, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt flakes and freshly ground pepper.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.