Asparagus Fried Rice
A quick one pot meal to whip up before you head out or curl up with comfort food for a night at home. A bonus is that this recipe is a great way to use up leftover cooked rice.
- 1-2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 capsicum, chopped finely
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1-2 long red chillies, sliced or chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3-4 cups cooked rice, cooled completely (see Tip)
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Additional teaspoon oil
- 2-3 free range eggs, beaten
- Soy sauce or tamari (see Tip)
- Cut asparagus into 1cm slices. Heat large frying pan or wok over medium to high heat, add oil and stir-fry capsicum, asparagus and sweet corn until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan with additional oil and cook egg until set. Turn omelette over, remove pan from heat and turn out onto a chopping board. Cut omelette into strips.
- Add chillies, garlic, rice and spring onions to vegetables and stir-fry until rice is heated through and all vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in omelette strips, season to taste with a little soy sauce (or tamari) and pepper and serve at once.
- To avoid soggy fried rice, always use cold cooked rice.
- Tamari is a wheat free soy sauce.
- For this recipe to be gluten free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to read ingredient labels on all products.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.