Looking for a quick and healthy starter or snack? Asparagus adds a lovely fresh flavour to this ever-popular dip.
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1 cup cooked or canned drained chick peas
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons tahini
- Good pinch of salt flakes
- Freshly ground pepper
- Few drops of Tabasco sauce
- Freshly cooked felafels (see Tip)
- Pita pocket bread
- Shredded lettuce
- Additional 1-2 bunches asparagus, blanched and sliced
- Chop asparagus and place in a food mill or processor. Add chick peas, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, tahini, salt, pepper and Tabasco and blend until smooth.
- If serving hummus straight away, transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with warmed pita pocket bread, shredded lettuce, sliced cherry tomatoes and blanched, sliced asparagus.
- If not using hummus at once, store in an airtight container in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- For extra spear power, serve with Asparagus Felafels on this site.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.