Asparagus, Pumpkin and Tomato Risotto
A great way to include more delicious veggies in family meals.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 200-250g pumpkin, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped finely or crushed
- 1-2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- Salt flakes and pepper to taste
- Shaved parmesan and baby basil leaves to serve
- Bring stock to the boil in a saucepan. Meanwhile heat oil in a deep frying pan and stir-fry onion and pumpkin over medium to high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add rice and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Add garlic and tomatoes, stir in 1 cup stock and cook risotto over low heat, stirring occasionally, until stock is absorbed.
- Stir in second cup of stock and continue cooking risotto until stock is absorbed.
- Add third cup of stock and asparagus and continue cooking until rice is cooked and asparagus is tender.
- Stir in grated parmesan, salt and pepper. Serve at once with shaved parmesan and baby basil leaves.
- Make a double quantity so you have tasty leftovers to heat up the next day, or to make into arancini
- If planning to make arancini, cut asparagus into smaller slices.
- Add 1- 2 tablespoons basil pesto for a punchier flavour.
- For this recipe to be gluten-free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.