Asparagus, Rockling and Cannellini Bean Soup with Pesto
Great as a yummy one-bowl meal for lunch, or as a hearty starter.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 young leeks, washed thoroughly and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 ripe red tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 500g Rockling sliced into 3cm pieces
- 200g button mushrooms, quartered
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 bunch medium asparagus, woody ends removed
- Salt, pepper and a little sugar to taste
- Crusty sourdough bread to serve
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare pesto: Place garlic, basil and oil in a food mill or small food processor and process until well combined. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in Parmesan until well combined.
- Heat a large pan, add oil and lightly cook leek and garlic for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and wine and cook gently for 3 minutes.
- Pour in stock and bring to boil. Add fish pieces, mushrooms and cannellini beans and then simmer for 5 minutes. Cut asparagus spears into 3. Add to soup and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Season soup well with salt and pepper and a little sugar.
- Ladle soup into warmed bowls and top each serve with a dollop of pesto.
- Serve with crusty sourdough bread.
- Rockling may be substituted with any firm white fish or salmon.
- Store any leftover pesto covered with a thin film of oil in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council