Cheese toasties make a delicious and warming light lunch or snack. Team up with a bowl of yummy soup and you have a satisfying healthy dinner.
- 12 asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 4 individual Turkish breads, sliced in half lengthways
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup trimmed snow pea shoots (see Tip)
- 1/4 red onion, chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Blanch asparagus by placing in a large heatproof and covering with boiling water. Allow to stand for 30-60 seconds. Remove asparagus and place in a separate large bowl of cold water for 1 minute to prevent further cooking. Remove and pat dry with paper towel.
- Prepare salsa by combining all the ingredients.
- Toast bread on both sides. Spread 1 teaspoon mustard over cut sides of toast.
- Arrange 3 blanched asparagus spears on each slice and sprinkle with cheese. Grill under a hot grill until the cheese is bubbly.
- Place toasties on servings plates, top each slice with a slice of prosciutto and a spoonful of salsa and serve at once.
- For a variation, use ham instead of the prosciutto.
- You can replace snow pea shoots with mung bean shoots, other sprout mixes, and small rocket leaves or sliced fresh basil.
- For a vegetarian option omit the prosciutto.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.