Asparagus with Fragrant Lemon Dressing
It’s hard to go past simply cooked asparagus allowing the wonderful taste, shape and colour to shine through. Perfect for a gathering of family and friends as an appetiser or as delicious accompaniment.
2-3 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
Fragrant Lemon Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- To prepare the Fragrant Lemon Dressing, use a whisk or fork, to combine olive oil, garlic, honey, lemon rind and juice and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside (if not using at once store in the refrigerator).
- Cook asparagus until just tender (see Tips).
- Arrange freshly cooked asparagus on a serving platter or individual serving plates.
- Just before serving, drizzle dressing over, dust with coarsely ground black pepper and serve hot, warm or cold.
- To steam asparagus: Place asparagus in a steamer insert or basket and place over a saucepan with 2 cm boiling water. Cover and steam for 3-5 minutes (depending on thickness of spears) until asparagus is just tender but still bright green.
- To cook asparagus in a microwave oven: Wash asparagus and remove any woody ends. With water clinging to the spears, place asparagus in a microwave safe dish. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2-3 minutes. Remove from microwave oven and set side for 1-2 minutes.
- To cook asparagus on the barbecue: Place asparagus in a large bowl and combine with 2-3 teaspoons olive oil, chopped garlic (optional), salt flakes and freshly ground pepper. Heat a BBQ or char-grill and cook asparagus until just tender, 4-5 minutes, turning over after 2 minutes. Remove from the heat immediately and serve.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.