Asparagus with Spanish Eggs and Chorizo
Tasty little pots of goodness to start the day or serve for a light meal with plenty of warmed tortilla.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 chorizo sausage, diced (see Tip)
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded and diced
- 8 tomatoes, diced
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed, chopped
- Freshly grinded pepper and salt
- 4 free range eggs
- Additional asparagus, trimmed
- Additional 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 180°C. Heat a frying pan over medium to high heat. Add oil to pan, and cook onion and chorizo until softened and starting to colour.
- Add garlic, chilli, tomatoes and asparagus and cook for a further 8 minutes until liquid has reduced and becomes like a stew consistency. Add coriander and seasoning to taste.
- Arrange four ramekins on a baking tray and divide tomato mixture evenly between the 4 dishes. Crack eggs over tomato mix and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, steam additional asparagus or cook in same oven (arrange on a baking tray, brush with a little oil, and add to oven for the last 10 minutes of cooking time).
- Serve Spanish Eggs topped with steamed asparagus.
- Use your choice of spicy or mild chorizo.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.