BBQ Asparagus Nicoise Salad
A fresh fast and fabulous dish for your next BBQ - fresh tuna and asparagus only take minutes to cook on the BBQ to create the base for this yummy main meal salad.
- 8 chat potatoes
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 2 x 300g tuna fillets
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- 4 eggs, hardboiled, peeled and halved
- 12 baby truss tomatoes
- 2/3 cup Kalamata olives
- 1-2 baby Cos lettuces
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 6 anchovy fillets, drained and torn
- Fresh parsley or basil leaves, to serve
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Black pepper and lemon juice to taste
- Prepare dressing: Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Steam or boil potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside to cool.
- Pre heat BBQ or cast iron grill pan. Lightly coat asparagus and tuna fillets with a little olive oil and sear each side 2-3 minutes until lightly coloured. Take care not to over cook so tuna is rare inside and asparagus is just tender but still bright green.
- Remove from pan and set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Cut tuna into diagonal slices and cut asparagus spears in half. To serve, arrange all ingredients on a serving platter. Just before serving drizzle prepared dressing over salad, season with freshly ground black pepper and scatter with fresh parsley.
- 1 X 425g can drained tuna in oil may be substituted for fresh tuna steaks – great for the lunchbox.
- For this recipe to be gluten free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
- For those who don’t need to avoid gluten, try tossing pieces of toasted garlic Ciabatta bread through salad just before serving.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council