BBQ Asparagus Stack
Mushrooms and asparagus are fabulous cooked on the BBQ. Here, asparagus add a lovely fresh touch to the ‘meaty’ mushrooms, and the feta and prosciutto add richness and contrasts in texture and flavour.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, stalks removed
- 120g feta, crumbled
- 12 thin asparagus spears, trimmed
- Additional chopped herbs
- 4 slices prosciutto
- Combine oil, garlic (if using), 1/2 cup of the herbs, salt and pepper in small bowl. Arrange mushrooms and asparagus on a tray or platter and brush all over with herb and oil mixture.
- Heat BBQ or char-grill over a medium to high heat. Place mushrooms gills side down on BBQ and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn mushrooms over and cook until cooked through and juicy, 2-3 minutes. Remove from BBQ.
- Add asparagus and prosciutto to BBQ. Cook until prosciutto is lightly browned on both sides and crispy. Cook asparagus until just tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove from BBQ.
- Arrange mushrooms on a serving platter or individual serving plates. Top each mushroom with 1/4 of the feta and sprinkle with remaining herbs. Arrange asparagus spears on top and finish with crispy prosciutto.
- For a vegetarian option, omit the prosciutto. Sprinkle roasted walnuts over mushrooms and asparagus, and then drizzle with a little balsamic glaze (available at larger supermarkets and delicatessens).
- You can also cook this dish in a heavy based frying pan instead of a BBQ or char-grill.
- Cooking times will vary according to size and thickness of the mushrooms and asparagus.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.