Chicken and Asparagus Burgers
Asparagus adds both flavour and colour to ever-popular burgers. When cooking, be sure to make enough for tomorrow’s lunchbox. For a vegetarian version, replace the chicken with minced marinated tofu.
- 1-1 1/2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced finely
- 750g minced chicken
- Juice and finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil for cooking
- Good quality egg mayonnaise mixed with chopped chives to serve
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed, diced
- 1/2 red capsicum, diced finely
- 1/2 small red onion, diced finely
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- To make burgers, thoroughly combine asparagus, chicken, lemon juice and rind, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Using washed damp hands, shape mixture into 12 burgers.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Cook 6 of the burgers until golden brown and cooked through, 3-4 minutes each side. Remove burgers from pan, drain on paper towel, cover and keep warm. Add remaining 3 tablespoons oil to pan and heat through. Add remaining 6 burgers and cook as for first batch.
- To make Asparagus Salsa, combine all ingredients.
- Arrange burgers on serving plates, top with salsa and serve with chive mayonnaise.
- To make a great starter, prepare burger mixture as above. Shape mixture into smaller portions and roll each portion into a ball. Cook as above and serve on toothpicks with chive mayonnaise or sweet chilli sauce.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.