Creamy Asparagus and Potato Soup
A simple, quick and delicious soup. Adding potato helps thicken the soup and provide a richness rather than the usual cream.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 bunches asparagus, ends snapped off
- 1 cup cows milk or soy milk
- A few drops of Tabasco sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium-large saucepan and stir-fry onion 1 minute. Add potato and stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut 4cm tips off asparagus, and then cut rest of spears into 1cm slices. Add all of asparagus to pan. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reserve some of asparagus tips. Blend soup with milk until smooth, adding more milk or stock for a thinner consistency. Reheat soup gently and season with a little Tabasco sauce.
- Serve topped with reserved asparagus tips and pepper.
- For this recipe to be gluten free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.