Easy Gnocchi with Asparagus, Peas and Lemon
- 4 large potatoes, steamed whole and peeled (approx. 800g)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut in thirds
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil + extra
- 1 tbs salt
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Parmesan to taste
- Mash or rice the potatoes. Add the salt and yolk and combine with a spoon. Add ½ the flour and fold through the potato with the spoon. Then tip out onto a floured bench and add remaining flour and gently knead potato and flour together. It will remain quite sticky, this is normal. If it’s overly sticky, add some extra flour and knead again.
- Sprinkle some more flour over the bench and divide dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a sausage shape and cut 1-2cm chunks from the sausage. Once you’ve rolled and cut all your gnocchi, heat a large non-stick frypan on medium and add olive oil.
- Add gnocchi, in batches, and cook on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove last batch of gnocchi from pan and add asparagus, peas and a good splash of extra virgin olive oil. Saute for 2-3 minutes then add gnocchi, lemon, salt, and pepper. Saute for another minute or so and serve with parmesan.