Green Asparagus Shakshuka
A nutritious way to start your day
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 bunch silverbeet
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh coriander
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes, optional
Harrisa paste or chili jam
- Slice asparagus into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Roughly chop silverbeet leaves and stems and place in a blender with the parsley, coriander, water, and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Puree until smooth, season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle remaining oil into a large skillet over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook 3 - 4 minutes until onion has started to soften. Mix through cumin, paprika, and chilli flakes.
- Pour silverbeet sauce into the pan with the onion mixture and stir well. Fold in asparagus pieces and cook for a minute to heat sauce through.
- Reduce heat to medium low and use a spoon to make four wells in the green sauce. Crack eggs into the indentations and simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes. Cover pan and cook for a further 2 - 4 minutes until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Dollop shakshuka with harrissa and yoghurt. Serve with lemon wedges and thick slices of sourdough.