Irish Pork Sausage Wrapped with Char-Grilled Aussie Asparagus and Prosciutto
A BBQ dish with a difference! Perfect for gatherings of family and friends.
- 4-8 Irish pork sausages (1-2 per person)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus, woody ends removed
- 4-8 slices good quality prosciutto (1 slice per sausage) (see Tip)
- 4 slices bread
- 1 red capsicum, sliced julienne (see Tip)
- 2 red onions, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch Coral lettuce, shredded finely
- 1 punnet baby Roma tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 red radishes, sliced julienne (see Tip)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, skin on, diced finely
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves crushed or chopped finely
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sprig of parsley, chopped finely
- Heat a BBQ to high heat and char-grill pork sausages until just cooked, 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Char-grill asparagus for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Wrap each sausage and an asparagus spear with prosciutto. Return each bundle to BBQ and cook until prosciutto is charred slightly, about 2 minutes. Place bread on BBQ and cook to crisp surface.
- In the meantime, prepare salad by combining capsicum, lettuce, tomatoes, radishes and cucumber. Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt and pepper to taste and mix gently.
- To serve, place a few spoonfuls of the salad on each slice of the delicious toasted bread. Top with Irish pork sausage and asparagus and prosciutto bundles. Sprinkle with parsley and serve while still warm.
- When purchasing prosciutto, look for the pink variety, as this will provide a sweet delicate flavour to compliment the Irish pork sausage and asparagus.
- Sliced julienne is cut into long thin strips like matchsticks.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by Anna Peters.