Lamb and Asparagus Skewers
A yummy, fuss-free way to cook your meat and veggies all at once.
- 2 x 400g lamb backstraps, trimmed
- 12 baby button mushrooms
- 12 baby truss (or cherry) tomatoes
- 8 thick asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 8 bamboo skewers soaked in water 30 minutes
Lemon and Basil Marinade:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Black pepper
- Cut lamb lengthways down the middle and then into 2-3cm slices. Transfer to non-metallic storage container. Combine marinade ingredients, pour over lamb and toss to combine. Cover and store in refrigerator for up to one day.
- Cut asparagus into 3cm pieces. When needed, thread asparagus, lamb, mushrooms and tomatoes alternately on skewers.
- Heat BBQ, grill or large heavy based frying pan over medium to high heat and cook skewers for 5 minutes each side, or to your liking.
- Throw some whole asparagus spears on the BBQ at the same time.
- You can replace the lamb with beef, pork or chicken.
- For a vegetarian option, replace the lamb with cubes of haloumi cheese or marinated tofu.
- For this recipe to be gluten-free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.