Purple Asparagus and Strawberry Salad
A salad with a difference with the fresh strawberries and a lovely strawberry infused dressing reflecting the sweet fruitiness purple asparagus. With their peppery flavour, baby rocket leaves enhance both the strawberries and the asparagus and help bring the salad together.
- 1 punnet strawberries, sliced
- 1 bunch purple asparagus, sliced thinly
- 1 generous handful baby rocket leaves
- Shaved parmesan to serve (optional)
- 3 tablespoons verjuice (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mild flavoured honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine asparagus, 3/4 of the strawberries and baby rocket leaves in a salad bowl.
- To prepare dressing, use a blender to blend remaining strawberries with verjuice and apple cider vinegar and honey. Strain mixture through cheesecloth or fine sieve. Combine strawberry and vinegar mixture with pepper to taste, and then whisk in olive oil. If not using at once store in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat with dressing. Scatter with shaved parmesan (if using), season with a little more pepper and serve at once.
- Purple Asparagus is sweeter than green asparagus and is lower in fibre allowing the whole spear to be eaten from tip to butt. It has a lovely crisp texture and a fruity note to the flavour.
- Purple asparagus is only available between mid October and mid December so make the most of its short season by whipping up a mouth-watering salad of spring and summer flavours.
- Verjuice is the juice of unripe grapes and is available from larger supermarkets and delicatessens.
- For this recipe to be gluten-free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by Vikki Leng.