Skinny Minny Rolls
These are fun to make so get the family to help. It’s also a good idea to make lots, as they are great for the lunchbox and to take along on picnics.
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or grated tasty cheese
- 12 asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Chutney, relish or aioli
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Combine egg with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl.
- Lay one sheet of filo at a time on a clean bench. Brush a 1 cm strip at furthest edge of pastry with a little of egg mixture. Sprinkle lower half of pastry with a little parmesan.
- Place 1 asparagus spear at bottom edge of pastry and season with pepper. Fold the two side edges of pastry over asparagus spear and roll it firmly in pastry, pressing down strip at end to secure.
- Repeat with remaining filo pastry sheets and asparagus.
- Brush a baking tray with a little oil and arrange rolls on tray. Brush rolls lightly with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake rolls in preheated oven until pastry is lightly browned and crispy at the ends, 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with chutney, relish or aioli.
- If you wish to serve cooked asparagus with rolls, brush a second baking tray with a little olive oil and arrange asparagus in a single layer on tray. Brush asparagus with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes at the same time as the rolls to use the same oven heat.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.