Steamed Chinese Eggplant with Chilli Asparagus
A lovely light and lively dish cooked in minutes!
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 3cm slices
- 250g silken tofu, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1/4 cup (80ml) Chinese black vinegar
- 1/4 cup (80ml) Chinese rice wine (Shaoxing)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (80ml) tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- 2 spring onions, sliced finely
- 1 long red chilli, shredded finely
- Place the eggplant in a steamer over a pan of boiling water, and steam for 10 minutes until tender. Add the silken tofu and asparagus for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, rice wine, garlic, sugar, tamari, sesame oil, and lime juice in a saucepan and cook gently, stirring, over low heat until the sugar has dissolved and the sauce is syrupy.
- Place the vegetables and mint on a serving platter, or into a serving bowl, and drizzle the sauce over. Top with the spring onions, and chilli shreds and serve.
- For this recipe to be gluten free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council