Summer Prawn Salad
Asparagus is delicious raw so enjoy whipping up fresh asparagus salads. For this crisp fresh starter, shave asparagus spears to create thin ribbons.
- 12 asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 12 cooked prawns, heads removed, peeled and de-veined
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or verjuice (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Run a veggie peeler along spears from bottom to top to create long thin ribbons of asparagus. Place in a mixing bowl with cucumber slices and add prawns.
- To make dressing, combine all ingredients. Add to asparagus and prawn mixture and toss carefully to combine.
- Place mounds of the dressed shaved spears on serving plates and arrange cucumber slices alongside. Arrange prawns on top, scatter with the snow pea shoots and serve at once.
- Verjuice is the juice of unripe grapes. It adds acidity to recipes without the tartness of vinegar and is especially good in dressings such as this one. It is available at large supermarkets and most delicatessens.
- For a vegetarian option, replace the prawns with red and yellow cherry tomatoes and cubes of creamy feta cheese.
Recipe provided by the Australian Asparagus Council.