White Asparagus and Chicken Salad with Thai Dressing
With its a vibrant dressing and crunchy fresh vegetables this Asian-inspired salad provides wonderful contrasts to the tender texture and delicate flavour of luscious white asparagus spears. If white asparagus in not available, use thick green asparagus spears.
- 450g (about 12 spears) white asparagus
- Cooked sliced chicken
- 1/4 Chinese cabbage, shredded
- Carrot, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- Vietnamese, or regular, mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 bird’s eye chilli, seeds removed, cut into fine shreds
- To prepare white asparagus, use a vegetable peeler or small paring knife to carefully peel about 10cm from base up each spear to remove outer tough layer only. Trim or snap off woody ends of the asparagus. If using green asparagus you will not need to peel spears, just snap woody ends off.
- Bring a large saucepan or frying pan of salted water to the boil. Cook asparagus over medium to high heat until just tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove asparagus and rinse in cold water to stop further cooking. Set aside.
- To prepare Thai Dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- To prepare salad, toss all salad ingredients together.
- Arrange salad on serving plates. Arrange asparagus on top and drizzle each serve with a 1/4 of the dressing.
- For this recipe to be gluten free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to read ingredient labels on all products.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe produced by culinary consultant Janet Lillie for Motta Produce.