White Asparagus with Avocado Coriander Dip
This is delicious served as an antipasto with prosciutto, roasted red capsicum, olives and grissini sticks.
- 450g (about 12 spears) white asparagus
Avocado Coriander Dip:
- Flesh from 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander, or to taste
- 1 bird’s eye chilli, seeds removed, flesh finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- To prepare white asparagus, use a vegetable peeler or small paring knife to carefully peel about 10cm from base up each spear to remove outer tough layer only. Trim or snap off woody ends of the asparagus.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Cook asparagus over medium to high heat until just tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Drain asparagus immediately. Rinse in cold water or plunge into a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process.
- To prepare Avocado Coriander Dip, mash avocado and combine with chopped coriander, chilli, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Transfer dip to serving bowl.
- Arrange asparagus on a serving platter with dip alongside.
- To cook white asparagus in the microwave: For every 200g (about 5 spears), place asparagus in a single layer in a shallow microwave safe dish, or on a plate. Cover tightly with microwave safe plastic film. Cook in a 750-Watt microwave oven on High until just tender, about 1 minute.
- For this recipe to be gluten-free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe produced by culinary consultant Janet Lillie for Motta Produce.