White Asparagus with Orange Hollandaise
Serve with your favourite bread and the accompaniments outlined below for a complete light meal. Alternatively serve asparagus with Orange Hollandaise on its own as an accompaniment or elegant starter.
- 450g (about 12 spears) white asparagus
- 1/2 cup ready prepared Hollandaise Sauce (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon light sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sliced ham
- Radicchio lettuce
- Red onion slices
- Thin orange slices
- To prepare white asparagus, use a vegetable peeler or small paring knife to carefully peel about 10cm from base up each spear to remove outer tough layer only. Trim or snap off woody ends of the asparagus.
- Bring a large saucepan or frying pan of salted water to the boil. Cook asparagus over medium to high heat until just tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove from water and set aside.
- To prepare Orange Hollandaise, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, adjusting seasonings to taste.
- Arrange asparagus on serving plates with Orange Hollandaise, sliced ham, radicchio lettuce and watercress and garnish with orange slices.
- Prepared hollandaise sauce is available in the specialty section of supermarkets and delicatessens.
Recipe produced by culinary consultant Janet Lillie for Motta Produce.